|GRASIM INDUSTRIES LTD - Cement Business Marketing|
|Grasim Cement Business Marketing is a 2000 crore division of the Aditya Birla Group. It employs close to 1100 personnel and has over 100 Offices across India and multiple plant locations.|
The company at the first instance ( Phase1) sought a solution for managing its annual performance appraisal system for its 1100 people who worked out of metros, smaller cities, towns and districts. After the tremendous success of its PAS implementation, the entire HRMS was sought by this division to manage its HR processes.
|The Situation in Phase 1 |
|At the end of the year 2000, the CBZ ( Cement Business Marketing ) HR was gearing for the start of the Appraisal Process. It began by sending out the forms for manual entry of the personnels' Key Result Areas by the respective employees and their supervisors. The activity began 6 months ahead of the actual exercise in order to complete the process by the end of April. The forms during this six month period went back and forth beginning as self appraisal by the employees then review by the supervisors and finally reached the HR with ratings and the Training Needs Identified. It took HR several weeks of follow up to meet its internal deadlines. At the end of this period, HR compiled the ratings and the TNI to generate reports for Salary Increases, Promotions and Training. In May 2001, the HR head reviewed the appraisal procedure and decided against this existing practice which ate into his team's time for most part of the year. After reviewing several options it was decided to take the system online and break down the time barrier, and speed up decision making.
|The Solution |
|In several ways this was a traditional organization but in a transition stage in growing contemporary HR practices for its people. The Corporate HR was rapidly stepping up in introducing Competency Mapping, Identifying critical talent at all levels, developing fast track programme for them, picking up talent from premier campuses, and recruiting for emerging businesses. The solution had to be one which could be enriched through scalability to accomodate more when needed. Above all, the client did not want to revamp any procedure at any stage. Icomm built the PAS Online for Grasim, served on an ASP model. All the users were empowered independently using separate Login ID's to maintain complete confidentiality during the process. Employees across India were trained to use the system by the HR supports, and for the first time in its history as well as the history of the AVB Group the performance appraisal was completed in 15 days across India for 1100 personnel!. |
|The Benefits |
|Availability of Real Time Information
- Data complilation and prprocessing is happens online with the system generating final scores.
- It takes HR a few hours to generate its mandatory reports
- Once decisions are taken by the Top Management all the Salary Enhancements, Promotion letters are generated in a jiffy to be dispatched before the next month's payroll is activated.
|Strategy and Forecasting
- HR is able to track and compare performance ratings in multiple user groups using parameters like demographics, qualification, functional areas etc.
- Is able to track High Achievers and Poor Performers.
- Sufficient availability of information for next year's Budgeting and Planning
- Is able to generate multiple reports pertaining to compensation, impact of enhancements in Salary, perks, update its Org structure, decide the internal movement of staff and promotions
|Training and Skill Development for Personnel
- Is able to schedule its Training Calendar immediately after the appraisal closes using the TNI reports.
- Preparing Training Budget
|Riding on the Success...|
|The second phase which has also been rolled out makes the HR process complete and integrates all the sub systems. |
|The Situation in Phase 2|
|Like many other businesses employing large number of people involving several statutory compliances the HR had sub systems pertaining to Leave and Attendance, Transfers, Personnel careers records, updating organograms, Manpower planning, budgeting for Manpower and for Training and development, Track Performance History, Recruitment , issue bulletins etc. The primary areas of concern here pertained to :|
- Credibility of information being received from the existing HR reports for strategic decision making.
- Time taken to generate and communicate information and service internal requests.
MIS reporting to the parent HR and other group companies.
|Boiling down to credibility, time and paperwork.|
|In order to set up seamless implementation of sub systems, enhance controls and better monitoring systems, Icomm has built an HRMS where sub systems talk to each other and seamlessly integrated all activities. HR supports have been made independent users of the system with specified controls on reports and transactions happening everyday and the HR Head can choose all the reports needed to monitor the servicing. |
- Response time has reduced to 24 hours max for all employee queries and policy based transactions.
- Loans are disbursed online with reports available to track historical data.
- Leave, attendance, payroll and payslip, ESI, PT and PF deductions operate simultaneously with required statements for Bank and records maintained by finance. Employees can view their earnings and deductions at the end of each month.
- All HR bulletins are issued online with an option for the HR to specify any user group which needs to receive these bulletins.
- Employees can view the training programmes for which they have been nominated. HR makes the curriculum available online to prepare the nominees ahead. Internally, HR can monitor absenteeism from training, expenses incurred and evaluate the quality of training imparted through an online feedback mechanism.
- All system controls exist with the head of HR who can create multiple process ownership for his team.
- The combination of data can be made available in several formats for any presentation or MIS to the top management.
- Employee history from personal records to annual performance are all maintained online and can be viewed by the HR manager on the fly.
|Organisations that have a geographic spread, and grapple with similar situations can greatly benefit from formula HR!|